Thursday, September 3, 2009

A Quick Comment

I don't want to inject too much political stuff in here, but since I see this as a place for me to talk about the things that are on my mind while I'm in South Africa, and since I'm a tad opinionated, I don't think I'll be able to avoid it all the time.

So, here's the thing: when we spoke about getting rid of Bush, it was generally about impeachment. Even the far, far, FAR lefties, the ones who waved "Down With the Bush Regime" signs at anti-war protests, were talking about impeaching him, about bringing his administration to justice for war crimes. Our fantasies involved photographed orgies in the White House that included the President, Vice President, most of the Cabinet, and several members of Congress that would bring shame to the Bush administration (and...gross). We did not speak, or joke, of assassination. And if we did, we were brought to task.

Now I read about people, including politicians on the right, members of the Republican Party, who have made comments (I won't call them jokes) alluding to assassinating President Obama. And I'm shocked that we allow these kinds of comments to stand, that the GOP has not risen up against these people and brought them to task.

There's something ugly brewing in my country.

No comments:

Post a Comment