Monday, August 16, 2010

The New "Morning After" Pill and Some (Shocking) Stats

In keeping with my constant advertising for the New York Times, I wanted to share an article about the new "morning after" pill, which was just approved by the FDA. Unlike Plan B, this pill, Ella, can be taken up to five days after unprotected sex. This is great news for many people (or not great news depending on your political/moral/religious leanings). What I found most striking about this article, however, was the throwaway tidbit at the end, brought to my attention by the friend that sent me the article (miss you, Morgan!):


Studies have shown that more than one million women who do not want to get pregnant are estimated to have unprotected sex every night in the United States, and that more than 25,000 become pregnant every year after being sexually assaulted. Half of all pregnancies in the United States are unintended.


I'm not sure what to make of that, other than that I had no idea those numbers would be so high.

No comments:

Post a Comment