Friday, April 8, 2011

Adultery Fridays, a Video, and Lunching Update

So, as you know, I'm cheating on FCTTCT (wow, terrible acronym) over at the Foreign Policy Blogs Network's Global Health blog. You can check out the latest post here. I went a little a-la-mode trendy, so it's about crowdsourcing, crisis mapping, maptivism, and the Twitter Revolution. Enjoy!


Also, so you don't think I'm neglecting you, I thought I'd share the video of Kevin Starr (director of Mulago Foundation; disclosure: they fund m2m) at PopTech 2010. It's about high impact investing (AKA venture philanthropy), how to break the buzzword cycle in your NGO, and the big mistakes we've made by investing in really, really bad ideas. Ever heard of One Laptop Per Child or PlayPumps? Get ready to see an evisceration. Even if you're not a non-profit dork, you might find it interesting.




Finally, just wanted to let you all know that I'm on day five of five for skipping lunch in protest of the huge budget debacle in the US, which shows no signs of ending any time soon, but includes proposals to gut foreign aid and programs for the most vulnerable in the US. It's about 1.30pm here, and I think I'm going to make it, not that it was in any way a sacrifice in a world where 925 million people don't get enough to eat. As I wrote before, I had the luxury of choosing not to eat lunch and of being able to have a full stomach before I went to sleep. I'm very, very grateful for that. Thanks for reading, commenting, and re-posting.

Here's to hoping we'll have a sane budget. I'm still pretty pissed off.

No comments:

Post a Comment