Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Further Adultery

Yesterday and today, I finally (FINALLY) got it together and set up a new blog.  I'm not sure if I'll continue in this space--probably, for now, so that I have somewhere to post the silly videos and crap I share around.  I also did a run-through of my photos today and realized that I have a lot of shots that I never shared from Morocco, Sierra Leone, and elsewhere--so perhaps I'll start throwing those up here too.  For the 1.5 of you who still check on things here (I love you! Thank you!).

One day, I'll have my own site up and running, but it was really scary when I tried to deal with it today (I have a domain name; I may have a host, but I think not; there was enough money involved that I wanted to wait until I can talk to someone who can use a computer better than I), so I cracked and went with a free Wordpress account for now.

My new blog, Glancing Blows (tagline: truths, secrets, and lies in the city by the bay) will be a collection of vignettes about the history, present, and future of San Francisco and all of the little contradictions and oddities that make this city so wonderful.  Basically:

Everywhere has a history, but San Francisco’s is more tumultuous, more chthonic, than almost anywhere else.  Everyone here has an underground group, a shibboleth, a hole-and-corner meeting spot.  There are cultures that I will never find, much less understand.  Cryptic street art, the Bohemian Club, ships buried in the ground.  In this space, I’ll try to capture those unknown histories, those secrets, those glimpses you catch when passing a narrow alley or a doorway, on the bus, in the park, on street signs.  San Francisco is a place where you can come to get lost or where you can come to find yourself, or anything in between that isn’t quite so conventional.  This is the edge of the frontier, no matter the direction whence you came, the place where, when we could go no further, we looked up, saw it was good, and put a stake in the ground.

So, that's that.  Thank you, again, to everyone who's stayed with me through this small dark age of cop-out link days and video posts.  I'm trying to get back on the writing wagon now, and your support and patience has been wonderful.  Onward.  Upward.

No comments:

Post a Comment