Sunday, January 9, 2011

That Pesky 3/5ths Clause

So the Repubs read the Constitution on the House floor the other day. But they didn't read the original Constitution or make mention of the more uncomfortable parts of it--such as the clarification that slaves would be counted as three-fifths of free persons for census/representation reasons. Strict constructionists, indeed.

I'd like to see how a full-on strict interpretation of the Constitution or the Founding Fathers' views would go. Envisioning lead balloons. As Dazed and Confused says (I know citing this movie won't necessarily help my cause, but it's such a good line):

Okay guys, one more thing, this summer when you're being inundated with all this American bicentennial Fourth Of July brouhaha, don't forget what you're celebrating, and that's the fact that a bunch of slave-owning, aristocratic, white males didn't want to pay their taxes.

Though really, I guess that's kind of the (new) Tea Party after all. I just give up.

The New York Times (of course, just get used to it) actually had a nice little editorial about reading the Constitution on the floor. When I first heard about all of this and tried to think of it out of the context of the political BS, I thought this was a nice idea. Too bad it wasn't done well--though maybe that's not much of a surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment