Monday, May 16, 2011

(Not) Finding Myself

First, quickly, new post over at Global Health. Blogger was down all Friday, so I couldn't put the link up til now.

Expat Aid Workers put up an extremely à-propos post today: #56 Finding Themselves. I put my feet back on US soil on July 2 in the California Republic. I will be jobless, barring any miracles and actual effort on my part to find a job. And after a long stint of avoidance regarding my next steps, I've realized that I actually don't know what I want to do. I don't know what the next step should be. I've jumped from academia to law to medicine to public health to human rights to writing to teaching to film, and that's just the short version of my thought process over the past three years (or more, though as I told my boss last week, I think it's safe to say that President of the United States, astronaut, and Indiana Jones can be struck off my career list...sadly). So, when I return, I'll be heading to San Francisco to live with my much-more driven and ambitious sister, fresh off her first year of law school (right out of college like a real adult person!) and about to finish up her lease on a one-bedroom just between Nob Hill and the Tenderloin. And although this is not necessarily a permanent decision (I'm thinking more of a soft landing), New York will have to wait just a little while longer. SF may be the second-most expensive city in America, but I think probable funemployment in NYC would just kill me financially at this present juncture.

And so, that's the next step. Where I go from there is a mystery. Maybe it'll involve golden idols, moonwalking, and a big veto stamp of my very own. I kind of hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment