Sunday, February 13, 2011

Safari Part 3: Birds


In December, my family and I went to Kruger for safari. I decided to split up my posts because I am too indecisive to give you a top 10 best of. It also means that I get to subject my three readers to multiple photos of birds. Part 1 is here and Part 2 is here. Above, a vulture tree.




Gray heron. If I remember correctly, this is the watering hole where Battle at Kruger was filmed.




A European Roller. Not to be confused with...




...the lilac-breasted roller, the most-photographed bird in the Kruger National Park.





Weaver bird colony (mostly masked weavers, I think).



The yellow-billed hornbill



The southern ground hornbill, which is endangered. This is the kind of thing that gets me pretty excited. Even better...




...was the saddle-billed stork, which is also endangered and a bit more attractive than its horn-billed counterpart. It was one of those lucky moments where, after seeing a ridiculous amount of game throughout a ten-hour-plus drive, we happened upon this pair just inside the park gate.

No comments:

Post a Comment