Thursday, February 17, 2011

Safari Part 5: Some Herbivores and Omnivores



In December, I went to Kruger with my family. I've split up my posts for optimal viewing. For more photos, see Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, and Part 4.



A steenbok (it means small antelope in Afrikaans). Not a great shot, but I love its giant cartoon eyes.



A klipspringer. As the name implies, they like rocks.



Warthogs--so ugly...



...but so freaking cute.


Wildebeest are one of the weirdest-looking animals ever.







It is rare to see the sensitive-skinned hippo out of water during the day (they came out to graze in the grass in front of our hotel restaurant all the time during dinner, however). We had great luck with the weather, which can be rainy and/or steaming hot in December. It was cool and only a bit drizzly, which created optimal weather conditions to see hippos (no sun), cheetahs (wanted to stay on the dry, dusty roads), and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment